3/17/2010

Walk a Thon

So this past Saturday I did the Walk on Thon with my dds.  It was for a good cause and dd#1 gets credit towards National Junior Honor Society.  I think hey, it's a win, win.  We get out get, get some fresh air and a little exercise.  I mean seriously it's only 5K which is roughly 3 miles.  Ok anybody can do that. And we do and I come home tired and a bit sore.  Ok that's to be expected.  We got up at 6am way earlier than usual for this night owl.  Only too discover a few hours later just how sore and tired I really am.  I take two Advil and veg for the rest of the day. Those plans I had for Saturday, I write them off.  I am beat.  I blame it on the fact I went to bed wayyyy to late the night before.

Sunday morning I get up and limp/drag myself to the kitchen to get some much needed Advil.  Apparently I'm not in as good of shape as I thought I was.  And after the blood starts flowing I feel better.  Still a bit achy but I stretch it out and the day whizzes by.  But it makes realize that I am out of shape. Apparently going up and down the stairs countless times a day does not count as exercise or at least not as enough exercise. I kind of knew that, but was in denial.  And so my treadmill and are getting better acquainted. 

Sat - 3 miles at the walk a thon
Sun - rest
Monday 2 miles on the treadmill
Tuesday 2.6 miles
Weds - approx 3 miles possibly more - but I kept hitting the off button instead of the speed button - watching tv while on the treadmill will do that to you.

My goal for right now is to figure out how to run/jog on the treadmill.  I am a speed walker by nature.  I can easily walk 4 miles an hour.  (Well ok 3.8 is comfortable 4.0 requires a bit of effort. ) But I really like it when the little difficulty meter on the treadmill has 3 lines instead of two.  And that doesn't happen unless I push it to 4.3 mph and I have a hard time walking that fast.  Probably because you are supposed to be jogging by then.  But I am jogging challenged.  I can't figure out how to jog and breathe and after about 1-2 minutes I am so winded it's all I can do to walk 3 mph.  So that's my short term/long term? goal for right now.  To be able to do 3 bars on the treadmill for several minutes without feeling like a winded fool. Oh and fitting back into my skinny jeans would be nice side benefit too.  ;)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for the comment on my sign! Comgrats on doing the walkathon!