5/29/2009

Still reading....

I've had a killer headache all day. Probably from eye strain from reading to much. But it's so worth it. I finished Chosen this morning. And lucky for me my dd had finished Untamed last night just before bed. So I moved right on to that one. Around late afternoon I finished Untamed, now I just have to wait for dd to finish Hunted.

I teased her about stealing the book away from her. But she refused to part with it. I made do with a quick trip to the bookstore to read a few pages into Hunted. (Love those comfy chairs bookstores have. How come the library doesn't have big comfy chairs to read in? You would think they would.) I had to find out a little bit more about what happened. Untamed's ending kind of left you hanging, wondering... I'd go into detail, but I don't want to give anything way.

So I get home and dd is making good progress. I distract myself for a bit and look at the clock. Dd's bedtime is officially 9pm, but it's coming up on 11pm. I tell her she needs to go to bed. She tells me no, she doesn't want to, she wants to finish the book. She is "almost" done.

Ugh! I so know how that feels. (I've been known to stay up all night to finish a "really" good book.) We compromise I tell her to at least get ready for bed. I figure if she falls asleep reading, then won't be a big deal, she'll at least already have her jammies on. Besides I know in my heart that she's not going to go to "sleep" until she finishes the book. Lord knows I surely wouldn't. I can't tell you how many times I stayed up all night as a kid reading with a flashlight under my covers. I imagine that my parents knew, but when I was a kid ,I thought I was being clever.

Anyway, it's a Friday night, the start of the weekend, so it's not a big deal to me if she stays up way past her bedtime, especially if it's to read. I check on her around 11:45. She just has a few pages left. Finally around midnight she's done. I high five her and congratulate her. Why? Well, my 10 year old just read FIVE 325-350 page books in less than a week. And she did it along with going to school, doing her homework, taking music lessons, etc. This momma is so proud! Yes, my dd is a a chip off the old block! ;)

And guess what? The book is mine! Yay! Doing the happy dance. Only problem, it's after midnight. I have too many kids sleeping over tonight to pull an all nighter. (A house full of kids and a tired mom are not a good combination.) I guess what happens to Zoey will have to wait until tomorrow... bummer...

No comments: