10/13/2009

Tempted...



So on Sunday I'm in the bookstore browsing.  Ya right! Shh!  I can hear you all Snickering.  Look, I really did go in there to browse.  All right so I also had a 40% off coupon that was burning a hole in my pocket.  I was just hoping to find the new "Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Dog Days".  But alas it wasn't out yet.  FYI - it was released today.  So while I am looking for said book and checking out the clearance section, both of my dd's are hard at work finding WebKinz they just have to have.  Um mm.... no.  You don't need anymore stuffed animals.  Yada, yada.  OK, we work out a compromise and I go to check out.  I found an awesome present for the kids' cousins who are coming to visit for Xmas.  I'd tell you but ... It's a secret.

Anyway, So I am paying for said books and WebKinz when DD #1 says, "Look Mom!"  I say I know, I know, it's not out yet.  I just asked.  Thinking she spotted the Diary OAWK signs that are everywhere.  (We had to buy the last one the day it came out.)  She says, No, MOM! Look at the poster behind the lady.  Now I can't really see said poster and I kind of poo poo her.  "Yes, I know."  Then she says, "No, mom.  Look!  Look at the POSTER!  I can't believe TEMPTED comes out OCT 27th."  Huh? OK, now I realize I don't know what she is talking about and give her my full attention.  What?  She says, "Tempted, mom! Look at the poster! and rolls her eyes.  "You know, The House of Night series."  What!?  Really!  OMG!  Doing a little happy dance here.  I loved this series.  As in I bought the entire series one day after reading the first book...even the hardcovers.  I'm so excited!  When does it come out?  Oct 27!  OK, I start mentally calculating how many days away that is and trying to figure out what my dh's schedule might be that week.  Still doing the happy dance, I come home and put it on hold at the library, but we are 13th on the list.  I know, 13th!  Ugh!  I'll never be able to wait that long...

But the story continues...  So tonight, I'm making dinner and the conversation turns to books, and then to Tempted specifically.  I mention that I put the book on hold at the library and dd #1 (who knows me better than I know myself) says I thought you'd just buy it.  I say I probably will. Then she says well I get to read it first.  At which point I look at her like she's crazy and say, "Oh no you don't. I'm reading it first."  At which point dd#2 says I get it second and now I have both dd's arguing with me over who gets to read the book and when.  Luckily my dh is a great peace maker and a solution is grudgingly agreed to.  I get to read it first .  Being a parent is has some advantages... 

However, when I was teaching my kids to read, I never in a million years thought I'd have to fight them to get to read a book first.  And you know what?  It's great problem to have.  I love sharing a good book with my kids.  Even if it means I no longer get first dibs on said book.  :)

So what book are you desperately waiting for?

p.s. Burned, The next book in the House of Night series comes out May 6, 2010 - On my birthday!

No comments: