7/22/2009

Summer reading list...



I finally finished the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Today I returned the fifth and final book of this LONG series to the library. The Fiery Cross' almost 1500 pages took me over 2 weeks to read! I know so not me. I usually devour books, rarely stopping between them and then I usually mourn the end of the series. But not this one. I am happy to be done with it. The books really dragged for me. I finished them based on principle. Everyone kept telling my how great they were, well I wouldn't call them great - ok -but that is about it. IMO they are way to wordy wasting chapters upon chapters on events and daily happenings that have no real bearing on the story. It was almost like the author set herself a goal of making each book be over xyz number of pages and was h--- bent on getting there. Each book in the series just moved slower and slower and the last one had was no real story line to it at all. Anyway I am proud of myself for sticking to it. I have the satisfaction of knowing how the story ends, but I wouldn't recommend them. And I'd never ever re-read them.

In other news, my youngest dd and I went to see the new Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. The movie was great! I did scream at one part of the movie, causing my dd to say mooommmm! - in that grown-up voice of hers - the one that she uses when she thinks I'm over reacting, etc. I can't really compare it to the book as this is one series that I ~shudder~ never finished. I ran out of patience waiting for the next installment in the series and stopped at book 4. They were just too spread out and I was having trouble remembering all the minor characters. I did love the ones I read! And they are all on my list of books to be re-read - now that I can machine gun read them one right after the other - cheese. :) Yes I read books even if I know what is going to happen and have seen the movie. The book is ALWAYS better than the movie.

So what good books have you read this summer? Or what books are on your reading list? I have The Host on mine, and I am waiting for few others that are on hold at the library. One is another vampire series, can't think of the name of it. I think it's Ever... something or another.

No comments: